Simple, inexpensive things you can do to help the planet
Posts Tagged ‘Plastic’
Why not? It’s usually just tap water, anyway.
Wrap your head around these statistics:
- manufacturing and transporting that 1-kg bottle uses 6.74 kg of water
- bottled water costs roughly 2,000 times more than tap water
- 26,000,000,000 bottles of water are sold in the North America each year
- 26,000,000,000 plastic bottles mean that it took 17,000,000 barrels of oil to produce, enough to power 100,000 automobiles for a year
- 26,000,000,000 also means that at least 2,550,000 tons of carbon dioxide were emitted
By her own estimates, 1,456 of those bottles are consumed by Jennifer Aniston alone.
By the way, reusing the bottles probably ain’t the greatest idea, either.
So, get a (safely) reusable bottle and bottle that water yourself!
Why not avoid the debate altogether and bring your own bags with you when you shop? Keep a couple of cloth sacks in your car (or better yet in your bike’s panniers!) so you won’t ever again have to answer the dreaded question.
Many grocery stores sell bags you can reuse. For purpose-designed sacks, you can buy online at Reusable Bags. (Note, we have no affiliation with Reusable Bags. We just think it’s a good idea!)